About The Company
About MARUYA HATCHO MISO
Maruya Hatcho Miso was established in 1337 in Hatcho-machi (formerly Hacho Village), so named as it was located at a distance of 8-cho, west of Okazaki Castle, birthplace of the Shogun, Tokugawa Ieyasu, and capital of Mikawa Province. The area was located on the important Tokaido highway, and close to the Yahagi River, two major transportation routes.
During the Edo period, nearby wharfs enabled the company to obtain soybeans, and salt from the Shioza, exclusive salt merchants, as well as transport the finished product by boat. Maruya Hatcho Miso was prized by the samurai of Mikawa as battle rations, carried under feudal clan orders, and made famous with the development of the Tokaido route.